Tuesday 30 June 2009

Credit crunch isn't affecting the fashion industry.

If you like your fashion (like me) then you will spend a lot of time out on the high street browsing all of the latest brands and checking out all of the new stuff for summer. Now at the moment are apparently in a credit crunch, times are hard and we are all struggling to make ends meet. This is what we are all being told anyway, but is it really the case?

I raise this question as this weekend I went out shopping with my mum, Saturdays are notoriously busy as you know, especially if the sun is out but this Saturday was a massive exception. We went to lakeside down in Essex and let me tell you that EVERYONE was down there. There were que’s for just about every shop you went into, especially the fashion shops, with people gagging to get hold of the latest stuff for the summertime. I had to wait 20 minutes in River Island to try on a top that I fancied and it wasn’t just in there. Just about every shop you went in was packed.

So where is this credit crunch then? It certainly hasn’t stopped people from spending the or money that for sure, lakeside must have taken hundreds of thousands on Saturday alone and every clothes shop was heaving. Are people being that careful with money? Is everyone still maxing out their credit cards so they can get the latest fashion without regard to the bill that will await them for the month after?
People that have lost their jobs will no doubt disagree with me that things are bad, otherwise they wouldn’t be out of work, and I do agree with that as not everyday on the high street is like a Saturday. But people are still spending money like it is going out of fashion (excuse the pun).

Anyway, I work in the fashion industry and I can tell you that there isn’t the kind of money in the industry that you think there maybe, but at the same time no major label has gone bust yet, and in my opinion they never will.

Resources
Apparel software company that I work for. We have obtained another 2 major contracts this week so there must still be plenty of money going around the industry, otherwise we would be out of work and not making a profit.

No comments:

Post a Comment